Pages

Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Monday, July 11, 2011

And a Post for All My Stitches... (Weaving in Ends)

It's been quite a while since my last knitting-related post. With so much going on I haven't had much knitting news to report. Today is different and I can not say how happy I am to report that my first piece of double knitting is complete! The Train Job scarf wrapped up it's time on my needles earlier this afternoon and it is about time! Intended as a gift for my grandfather this Yule, I can not wait to see his face when he finally sees the scarf.

 The Finished Product!


In my Ravelry notes for this project I mentioned that I have an odd way of weaving in ends. My method consists of getting the ends down to a manageable size and then untwisting the yarn to its individual strands and weaving the strands into the stitches of my knit item. Since the written description isn't very clear, I decided to take pictures as I wove in the ends on my Train Job Scarf and post them here.

My Method of Weaving in Ends
Step 1: Get all the ends down to a manageable length.
In this photo you can see that the yarn in my hand is very long. Since this example is on a double-knit piece I wove it in between the pieces of fabric, looping it around the backs of stitches to secure it while hiding the fact that it is there at all.

Step 2: Untwist the yarn in to separate strands
This is what a 3-ply yarn will look like when unspun. Because yarn is meant to stay twisted you will have to hold on to the separate strands until you can isolate one and get it on your needle.

Step 3: Weave the strands into the stitches of the knit material.


In this photo the needle is in between the strands of a knit stitch and a strand from the loose end is threaded through the eye. Because I like to use the "split method" on short ends, I often have to thread the needle after I have slipped it part way through he stitch I am using to anchor my end. Continue doing this until the end is very short. Cut the remaining yarn from the end and stretch fabric a little to make sure the end is inside the knit project.

Repeat this step until there are no ends left and enjoy your completed project!

A second post is slated for today, one regarding my first bit of DIY gardening since moving out on my own. Let's just say I got a bit of a work out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger