Pages

Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Making Heirlooms

A few years back I became very interested in genealogy. My family thought this was a wonderful pursuit and encouraged me to dig as deep as I could. Turns out my great grandmother had also been a genealogy buff, crafting a family tree that went back several generations on either side. This was well before the Internet of course and resources like Ancestry.com were not available, which means that she could only go back so far before the memories and physical clues of our family's past were lost. Which got me thinking...

In this age of digitalization, what evidence will be left behind for future genealogists? Are they going to get in to my e-mail provider's server and mine out every correspondence I ever sent from the numerous addresses I have used over the years? Or are they going to hope I kept a journal, only to find that I write in it maybe once every couple of months? My generation rarely produces physical evidence of their existence any more, other than what other people need of them (paperwork, schoolwork, etc). I moped over this idea for a while before coming up with a bright idea. I would set out to deliberately create evidence of the life I'm living. Christmas letters to family with copies massed and scrapbooked after every season. Photos out the wazoo and as many personalized and gorgeous crafts as my hands could churn out.

With this idea in mind I set my eyes on the goal of creating two hand-stitched Yule stockings, one each for DH and I. I've been doing needlepoint on and off since I was a little girl, so it was nice to get a refresher course and learn a few new skills along the way. After a few weeks of planning and learning the process of doing gorgeous needlepoint, I marked out the area I would be stitching on my Aida cloth and began stitching. My pattern comes from Debbie Kooler's wonderful book Second Edition Stocking Collection.

I don't have any pictures yet, but as soon as I do you can bet I will be posting them. Between the Yule Knitting, my new sweater and this needlepoint I hardly have an idle moment!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger