Pages

Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My "Oh Shit" Moment...

I am getting married in a little under five months and I have finally had my "Oh Shit" moment. My wedding dress is kept at a store three hours from where I live and I finally found time to drive out and try it on. As a bit of background, I just completed my junior year in college and work part time at a local library. The past three months have been absolutely crazy and trying to eat right was a huge challenge. My fiance and I ended up at fast food drive-through's more often than I would like to admit, but I have to say that I did not eat very bad. Salads and chicken made up most of what I ate, but fast food is still fast food and my scale hasn't let me forget. Exercise was another hug problem, mainly because of time but also because of my energy levels. Research papers and split shifts can take a lot out of a person, which means all I wanted to do was relax once I got home.

Unfortunately, the result of all that caught up with me yesterday afternoon. My grandmother took me to try on my dress, and I burst in to tears when the attendant couldn't zip up the dress. I had thought my waistline was shrinking because my pant size was going down and my face was getting a little thinner.

I was wrong.

The shop attendant told me there were things they could do to the dress so it would fit, as long as I did not gain any more weight. I have other plans, however. I intend to lose at least thirty pounds by our wedding. My approach is broad and will change most of my habits, which is why I started this blog. A lot of it is focused on a chart I printed from TheKnot.com, which allows me to keep track of the number of water and fruit or vegetable servings I consume each day, as well as my vitamin intake and whether or not I exercise.

  1. I will be eating at least eight servings of fruit and vegetables every day.
    Every morning I drink 8 ounces of V8, which amounts to two servings (a serving is a 1/2 cup of fruit or veggies) and every night I have a bowl of miso soup with dinner, which is considered a servings of veggies.
  2. My heavier meals will be eaten at lunch instead of dinner.
    I once read that heavier meals at night don't make sense because most people become inactive after supper and burn most of their daily calories between lunch and dinner. After thinking about it, I decided that the logic was sound. After working out a proper schedule, my fiance and I decided to start eating heavier meals earlier in the day and lighter ones at night. This means we can not skip breakfast, but that is sound advice in any case.
  3. No more soda!
  4. No eating after 10pm. Unless something big comes up, this should be easy to follow
  5. Exercise at least three times a week, preferably once a day. This one will depend on my schedule, but I have to start making more time for workouts.
That is all I've got at the moment. I've only been working on this for two days, so I am hoping that I can keep it up. So far I have worked out two days in a row, eaten lots of fruits and veggies, avoided soda, and drank lots of water. I also haven't stepped on a scale in almost a week, and I don't plan on weighing myself until after New Years, because I need to give myself time to actually see results.

Thankfully I signed up for a karate class next semester, my fiance and I are planning on taking dance lessons, and I have a workout buddy that is more than happy to drag me to a gym. I've also started varying how I work out, which is helping with my interest level. Unfortunately, the most affective workouts are the least interesting so I will have to find a way to make it more interesting. I've read that watching movies or listening to music helps, so I have started looking into more music because my library is way too small at the moment.

I'm hoping to meet my goal early, because I've set my goal weight a little higher than I actually want it. But I don't intend to make myself sick losing weight for the wedding, so small steps are best. Wish me luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger