Pages

Subscribe Twitter Facebook

Friday, June 4, 2010

I got a Knitting jones...



I am at work and all I want to do is get home and put the border on my second handkerchief, cast on for the third, work a row in my Rainbow Baby Blanket, and sew the appendages for the dolls. Rumor is that employees were allowed to knit a few years back but they vetoed the right after someone ignored patrons while knitting. I would like to know who so I can kick them in the arse. There is very little to do at work, so I lurk on Ravelry and add patterns to my favorites and my queue.






After a year of putting it off, I finally embroidered the initials on my first Handkerchief. I have discovered that thinner paper works better, as do letters in a connected style. I originally tried a font that formed letters from disconnected lines, known as Ductus, but it didn't turn out well at all. I've also decided not to add flowers or other embroidery because I think the initials add classic elegance and need no other embellishment.







The second Handkerchief needs the edging and embroidery done, but now that I know what I am doing neither should take me very long. I plan on having the entire handkerchief completed by Sunday night at the latest. Handkerchiefs three and four will be started soon, though they make great car projects so I may save them for later in the summer, when we will be traveling. I can also knit them in public without anyone asking what I am making, which is a bonus because I would like them to be a surprise. I think my mom knows by looking at my Ravelry page, but I have other surprises for her!







The Baby Blanket has become my least favorite project. It takes so long and is becoming obnoxious. I have decided that I will not buy any more yarn for it, particularly since I started the project as a way to eat through my myriad acrylic yarns. I hope to have it done before fall, but it is not a priority.







My other WIP that I am really excited about is my pair of dolls, intended for my niece's Christmas present. I meant to give them to her last year but I ran out of time, underestimating the amount of time and energy my job would take. Word to the wise: If you're going to work for a fast food joint, make sure they are a properly functioning one. If something big has gone wrong, the little people have to pay for it. The store I worked in was falling apart, and I ended up working two months worth of ten hour shifts, starting on day one. Needless to say that took all my energy, and then I came down with the (dreaded) Swine Flu to boot. I was too burnt out to finish the dolls by Christmas so I put them away to restart this year. I will certainly have them done in time, especially since I could finish them tonight!







The wedding garter has become an elephant in the room, so to speak. I would like to finish it but I am terrified of messing it up when I sew on the bias tape and elastic. I should really do it, but I think it may wait until my next No-Knit Night. In the meantime I have cast on for a second garter and I plan on getting at least three more done before the end of summer.







As for the No-Knit Night, it was s smashing success, as I wrote yesterday. I think I will try to get one every two weeks, though that depends on what I have going on and if any event requires a knit gift. I know I have a box full of half-finished projects somewhere, and it would be nice to see all those washcloths finished.







On a more crafty note, I think I will start yet another blog, this one to detail my non-knitting crafts. I have seen many project pages on Ravelry containing the details of these projects, but I think my blog will be enough for me. I hope to fill it with all the wedding related projects I have waiting for me, which will more than likely take most of the next year to complete LOL.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger